Friday 31 May 2019

Moonlight Crescent Shawl

Hi all.

More than an year is not just a long time, it's a looong loooong time, I admit that. I was busy with  loads of crochet, commissions and other things. This year has been good so far and I landed on a new craze/passion, for lack of a better word. I started making shawls!!!

I had always been a bags-person or a cap-person and all of a sudden I somehow ended up making shawls - both crochet and knit. Most of them were patterns available on Ravelry and the internet, but last month I made a crescent shawl which got a lot of appreciation. Couple of my crochet mates asked for a pattern and I felt I should write it out.

I am not much experienced with making shawls nor am I a seasoned pattern writer. This pattern I wrote is not tested and I dint get anyone to tech edit it. So let me confess, there could be errors. Please let me know if you spot any so that I could improvise.

With that let me show you what I made.





Now to the pattern.

The basic shape of the shawl is a crescent with a lacy border. The border is heavier than the base as the shawl tends to curl up a bit and needed some 'weight' to hold it flat.

Instructions
Thread used: Ganga Hobby India 1 ball variegated for the base crescent and ½ ball solid colour for the lace part
Thread suggestion: any fingering weight yarn, as gauge is not important
Hook : 4 mm
The thread I used calls for 1.75-2.25 mm hook, but I went for a 4 mm hook to give the fabric some
drape. If you have a tight hand like mine, go up a couple of hook sizes.

Size of shawl
Crescent part : 73 inch long, 9 inch at the widest point
Lace part : 2.5 inches
Total length of shawl including lace : 76 inches approx
Total width of the shawl including lace : 12 inches approx

Pattern
The pattern is divided into three parts – Increase section, a Decrease section and finally a Lace part

Stitches used
ch – chain
ch sp - chain space
tch – turning chain
dc – double crochet (treble crochet in UK terminology)
sc – single crochet (double crochet in UK terminology)
dc2tog – double crochet two together (treble crochet two together in UK terminology)
tr – treble crochet (double treble crochet in UK terminology)

Increase
Increase is done on one side of the shawl. It would help to use a stitch marker to indicate the increase side.

Row 1: ch 3, 1 dc in 3rd ch from hook, ch2, turn

Row 2 : 2 dc in dc, 1 dc in tch of previous row, ch2, turn

Row 3 : 1dc each in each dc, 2 dc in tch of previous row, ch 2, turn

Row 4 : 1 dc in same st as tch of previous row, 1 dc each in sts till end of row, ch 2, turn

Row 5: 1 dc in next st, 1 dc in each st, 2 dc in last st, ch 2, turn

Row 6 onwards: repeat Rows 4 and 5 till the required width of the shawl excluding the lace part is
reached.

Stop increasing once the desired width is reached. Now on, (1dc in every dc, ch 2, turn) till 1/2 ball of yarn is over. Please be careful not to work at the root of the tch while working this section of the shawl.

Once this section is over, with the second half of the ball, work the Decrease section.

Important : For starting the Decrease section, the Increase st marker / the side on which we increased should be on the left side.

Decrease Section
Decrease too is done on the same side as the increase.

Row 1: 1 dc in every st till 2 sts remain, dc2tog in last dc and tch of the previous row, ch2, turn

Row 2 : 1 dc in every st, ch 2, turn. (please do not work in the tch after you turn at the beginning of row)

Repeat Rows 1 and 2 till 2 sts remain. Finish off and weave in ends.

Lace Section
This section is worked along the Increase edge / the edge where we placed the st marker. Lace is
worked side wise. So turn the project so that the Increase edge is facing away from your body. Using the solid colour yarn, work the following pattern.

Work a row of sc across the Increase edge trying to keep the edge as flat as possible. (Depending on the size of the dc worked and the gauge of the shawl, one or sometimes 2 sts would have to be worked to avoid ruffling up or puckering of the side.) ch3 (works as a dc, ch1 for the next row), turn.

Row 1: work 1 dc in the 2nd sc (leave 1 sc unworked), ch1, 1dc ch1 leaving 1 sc, continue till the last st, ch6, turn.

Row 2 : 1 tr in the same st, *1 tr ch3 1tr all in the second ch sp (leaving one ch sp unworked) till end of row, ch 1, turn.

Row 3: 5 dc, ch3 sl st on top of the 5th dc (3ch picot), 5 dc all in the ch3 sp of previous row, 1 sc on top of tr on previous row till the end, finish off.

Tassels
I added tassels to the shawl to give it some weight and to keep it from curling. I used both variegated and solid colour threads held together to make the tassel. You could add tassles or omit them  altogether.

I wanted to add beads to my shawl, may be the next one would have beads. Adding those to the  picots would add some weight and bling to the shawl.

BlockingI would suggest blocking the shawl, but the thread I used did not respond well to my efforts. If you are using a natural fiber, blocking the shawl would help open up the lace sts.

Please do make this shawl and let me know if you need help with the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment