Monday 28 August 2017

My round cushion gets a cover, at last!

Hi all,

I had a cushion that dates back to, God alone knows when! It is a round one with green silk cover which faded over the years. My hubby seems to have some kind of emotional bondage to the cushion which made it impossible for me to throw it away. So I decided to give it a makeover!

I searched through the Net for something that fits my cushion and my yarn stash. (Obviously I din't want to buy more yarn!)

So after a long search,  I found something that fits the bill here. I tweaked the pattern slighty but tried to follow it as much as my requirement allowed and kept the colour changes as close with Haaknerd's as possible. I worked the cover with acrylic I already had and opted for a crocheted tie to avoid buttons poking at the targetted user, my hubby.

Here it is, the old cushion in new cover! It is raining in this part of India. So I had to take pictures indoors in artificial lighting, hence the poor picture quality.



Front of cushion cover
 The yarn is acrylic and is from my stash. I feel proud that I did not buy any yarn for this project too!


For the back of the cover, I thought about a fabric circle first. I was not sure how fabric and acrylic would get along together. So decided against it and made the back with something similar to the front.

I didn't want to duplicate the front, as I had something like a "second sock syndrome" overpowering me😁. So I settled for a granny circle for the back. Didn't have enough grey in a single shade to complete the back, hence switched colours thus using up those teeny weeny bits of grey I had lying around. That gives me a reason to start stocking up on grey (how could someone live without grey yarn!)
Granny circle back


 Front is a mix of many stitches including single crochet (sc), double crochet (dc) and cluster stitches.


Closeup of front
 The sides are made of half double crochet (hdc)
closeup of side
 The ties are chains (ch) with slip stitch (sl st) on them to strengthen them a bit.
Crocheted ties
If  anyone needs any help making this, please feel free to contact me.

My hubby is very happy to see the cushion back in service after a very long time.

Do you have anything you or a member of your family love so much that you can't throw it away? Share your stories with me.